- May 26, 2017
PenancePenance, written by Kanae Minato and translated by Philip Gabriel, was published by Mulholland Books in April 2017. This is Minato’s third book, but her second in English following Confessions (2014), also from Mulholland.
Minato (b. 1973) made her debut in 2007 with "The Saint," winning a short story award from a Japanese mystery magazine. The following year she rewrote it as the first chapter in Confessions, which became a bestseller and was adapted into a film. Confessions has already been translated into numerous languages including English, French, Italian, German, Chinese, and Korean. The English translation won the American Library Association Alex Award in 2014, and was nominated for both the Strand Magazine Critics Award for Best First Novel and the Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novel. The Wall Street Journal also listed it as one of the ten Best Mystery Books of 2014.
- April 5, 2017
The Name of the Game is a KidnappingThe Name of the Game is a Kidnapping, written by Keigo Higashino and translated by Jan Mitsuko Cash, was published by Vertical in February 2017.
Keigo Higashino (1958-), ex-president of MWJ, is one of the most popular mystery writers in Japan, as well as in East Asia and the English-speaking world, through titles such as The Devotion of Suspect X.
- November 10, 2016
Deep Red releasedDeep Red, written by Hisashi Nozawa and translated by Asumi Shibata, was published by Vertical in October 2016. Hisashi Nozawa (1960–2004) is the 1997 Edogawa Rampo Prize recipient for his novel Hasen no marisu, and this is his first work to be translated into English. A review is online at Crime Fiction Lover.
- October 19, 2016
CWA International Dagger Award Winner AnnouncedOn October 11, 2016 the Crime Writers' Association announced the winner of the International Dagger as The Great Swindle, written by Pierre Lemaitre of France and translated by Frank Wynne. Six Four, written by Hideo Yokoyama of Japan and translated by Jonathan Lloyd-Davies, was shortlisted for the award, marking the first nomination of a Japanese work for the CWA Dagger Awards.
- October 19, 2016
New Books and Short Stories by MWJ Members
Revised: November 10, 2016
List also includes non-genre works.
- January 2016
- Gakuto Mikumo, Strike the Blood, Vol. 2: From the Warlord's Empire (trans. Jeremiah Bourque, Yen On)
- February 2016
- Keigo Higashino, A Midsummer's Equation (trans. Alexander O. Smith, Minotaur Books)
- March 2016
- Hideo Furukawa, Horses, Horses, in the End the Light Remains Pure: A Tale That Begins with Fukushima (trans. Doug Slaymaker and Akiko Takenaka, Columbia University Press)
Hideo Yokoyama, Six Four (trans. Jonathan Lloyd-Davies, riverrun)
Hideyuki Kikuchi, Vampire Hunter D, Vol. 23: Iriya the Berserker (trans. Kevin Leahy, Dark Horse Books)
Yoshiki Tanaka, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Vol. 1: Dawn (trans. Daniel Huddleston, Haikasoru)
- April 2016
- Isuna Hasekura, Spice and Wolf, Vol. 17: Epilogue (trans. Jeremiah Bourque, Yen On)
Hideo Furukawa, "The First Asura" (trans. Ryan Shaldjian Morrison, Monkey Business, vol. 6)
Shin'ichi Hoshi, "Shoulder-Top Secretary" (trans. Jay Rubin, Monkey Business, vol. 6)
- May 2016
- Gaku Yakumaru, A Cop's Eyes (trans. Jan Mitsuko Cash, Vertical)
Tetsuya Honda, The Silent Dead (trans. Giles Murray, Minotaur Books)
Alice Arisugawa, The Moai Island Puzzle (trans. Ho-Ling Wong, Locked Room International)
Yukito Ayatsuji, Another Episode S / 0 (trans. Karen McGillicuddy, Yen On)
Gakuto Mikumo, Strike the Blood, Vol. 3: The Amphisbaena (trans. Jeremiah Bourque, Yen On)
- June 2016
- Seicho Matsumoto, A Quiet Place (trans. Louise Heal Kawai, Bitter Lemon Press)
Miyuki Miyabe, Puppet Master, parts 4 and 5 of the novel (trans. Ginny Tapley Takemori, Creek and River) (ebook only)
Natsuhiko Kyogoku, The Wicked and the Damned: A Hundred Tales of Karma, Vol. 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the series (trans. Ian M. MacDonald, Creek and River) (ebook only)
- July 2016
- Yoshiki Tanaka, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Vol. 2: Ambition (trans. Daniel Huddleston, Haikasoru)
- August 2016
- Tetsuo Takashima, Tsunami (trans. Tom Slattery, Shueisha English Edition) (ebook only)
Miyuki Miyabe, The Gate of Sorrows (trans. Jim Hubbert, Haikasoru)
Shichiri Nakayama, Nocturne of Remembrance (trans. Paul Rubin, Vertical)
- September 2016
- Gakuto Mikumo, Strike the Blood, Vol. 4: Labyrinth of the Blue Witch (trans. Jeremiah Bourque, Yen On)
- October 2016
- Hideyuki Kikuchi, Vampire Hunter D, Vol. 24: Throng of Heretics (trans. Kevin Leahy, Dark Horse Books)
Mariko Koike, The Graveyard Apartment (trans. Deborah Boliver Boehm, Thomas Dunne Books)
- October 19, 2016
English site openThe English site of the Mystery Writers of Japan (Nihon Suiri Sakka Kyokai) is now open.